.item-control{display:none;}

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Pocket Aces and a Royal Flush!


Sleep has become a precious, rare commodity in my present situation, so I pass the hours writing, researching on the web for no particular purpose, and playing on-line poker (for 'play money', of course)! Texas Hold 'Em, to be exact. Now, I had never even seen a complete game of hold 'em until a few months ago, and clearly had no concept of all the strategy and mathematical calculation required to really progress in the game. Luck plays a part, too -- and, Lord knows, I have none of that -- but I pretty much depend upon figuring up the odds and trying to key into the style of the other players at the table. Not that I've become some kind of a poker whiz or anything. . . .far from it. . . .but tonight was different. Tonight, the planets must have been aligned or there was an angel on my shoulder or maybe my brain was just firing on all cylinders for a change because tonight was incredible!!!

Against all reason, I played in two 90-person tournaments tonight and WON BOTH TIMES!! Generally, if I can make it to the final table, with the last 9 players standing, I'll do my little mental 'happy dance' and consider the game a success, so this was a real memorable night for me! And, to top it off, I got the first royal flush that I've ever had. . . .ten, jack, queen, king, and ace of hearts. . . .and won a pot that held almost 15,000 chips!! What a tickle that gave me!

Isn't it strange, what becomes important in our lives, when other things are no longer there? Never would I have imagined myself writing a blog, caring about whether Wickipedia got an entry right, or playing poker on a computer, but here I am. . . .three o'clock in the morning, and I'm so excited over that win that I can't sleep. . . .even if I could.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job!!!! I suck anymore at poker. I don't have the patience for it. :) Think of it- you beat 188 other people at poker last night. Congrats!

Love you

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's really cool! I love playing Hold 'Em on Yahoo! games.